Tuesday, October 16, 2018

About pets, love and friendship

Man's best friend
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light. 
Hellen Keller

People say that dogs are man's best friend... In my case, however,  my first memory goes back to a small green parrot, Enicognathus ferrugineus, that is usually found in the south of Chile. This Austral parakeet lived free in my house, walked around all the rooms, fed on my mum's hands and had a sharp voice that was heard from distant places. The longer wings had been cut so that it couldn't fly away. By then, I was in primary school and I remember as it were yesterday when my little friend combed my hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows to wake me up on weekends.


It also used to walk on my shoulders and observed enthusiastically how I did my homework. One day, at lunch, it was on my mum's shoulders observing with distant interest the conversation of my family and friends, so I decided to bother it by touching its long tail; it moved towards me, protesting for such an uncomfortable situation; I did it, again and again, a little time later ... it moved restlessly, was really upset and protested by using its powerful voice... I was told not to bother again, so I focussed my attention on my dish. My little friend looked at me peacefully, showing sympathy... then it quietly walked from my mum's shoulders to mine in a clear demonstration of affection..., all of a sudden, it reacted by biting into my face and ran away to my mum's shoulders....my little friend gave emphasis to the lesson "do not do to others what you do not want to be done to yourself".


Time passed and when my kids were adolescents, I looked for a parrot to satisfy the need for a pet at home. Another small green parrot of the same kind became part of our family, a friend of all. I felt it had a special connection with me; it reminded me of my first friend, the same kind, color, mood. I used to whistle when I walked back home, and this little friend heard me and used its sharp voice to announce my presence... In sunny days, my family enjoyed watching it having a bath under the sun...

Many years passed till one afternoon, when I had just come back from work, I was told that our little friend was very badly ill. I took it gently put it on one hand; it opened the eyes, moved its head and passed away... My little friend, Polo, had waited to say goodbye.

The love you feel for your pets is greatly corresponded by them, and sometimes they are better friends than you are. These videos are a great demonstration of love for the other.






Remember to take care of your pets!

Now is your turn:

Tell me about your favourite pet(s)
What its(their) name is(are)
Since when you have it(them)
Why you love your pet(s)

Upload a photograph if possible
Minimum length: 180 words

28 comments:

  1. It must be really crazy and fun to have a parrot at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Javier,
      They really are...Have you ever had a parrot at home?
      See you,

      Delete
  3. Pets in general are the man's best friend, and let they go is very hard and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to have a parrot at home to teach it some words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia,
      Some kinds of parrots, such as the one of the video, are fast learners...
      See you,

      Delete
  5. What a funny history!! I´m really sorry by your lost. Thanks for share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the parrots are very inteligents animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cristóbal,
      As most animals, they show their intelligence and friendliness.
      See you,

      Delete
  7. the pets can become better friends than a person!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diego,
      They are actually quite attached to you...
      See you,

      Delete
  8. Pets are very important in our lives, especially in childhood

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have also experienced the death of my pets and it's not easy to say goodbye to those who give you those beautiful moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fabiola,
      Pets bring happiness, but also sadness to our lives...
      See you,

      Delete
  10. When my mom was a little girl she had a parrot, she adored it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nayareth,
      Parrots are wonderful, little creatures indeed...!
      See you,

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hi Constanza,
      Chilean parrots are not so common today as they were in the past... I've seen many Argentinian parrots, though.
      See you,

      Delete
  12. I always wanted a parrot to talk, sing and that stuff but I haven't the space in my home haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camilo,
      ... and they need space to live happily...
      See you,

      Delete
  13. They are so intelligent, i used to have one, but he died last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi José,
      Sorry for your loss, the good memories will remain, though.
      See you,

      Delete
  14. When I was a child, I have a parrot very talkative, but did not have a cute ending :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dogs are very intelligent, i love that!

    ReplyDelete