Tuesday, November 13, 2018

From cartoons, animes to TV series

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere"  Anton Ego, Ratatouille

From the moment we are born, we are attracted by the colorful surrounding we live in and soon, in about a couple of years, we are ready to draw with coloured pencils all the objects and entities playing in our world. Pablo Picasso and Leonardo da Vinci would be jealous of the eagerness we have to grasp the beauty of nature and the easiness we have to represent very complex images with just a couple of strokes of our pencils. We feel artists doing artwork.

In time, we learn to read and this permits to uncover the mysteries of the drawings with text we had so many times cherished in our hands. Cartoons and comics become an attractive source of entertainment.

Phenakitoscope
When I was a kid, I enjoyed cartoons and comic books with the adventures of  Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Archie...and of superheroes like Batman, Superman, Spiderman, and many others. The interest in reading comics books was such that there were even places where you could buy, rent, or exchange your comics book for another one over a modest pay...!  That was a win-win opportunity.

Then, a long-awaited wish came true: animated cartoons in colour and with a perfectly synchronized sound. The Disney studios were pioneers in this respect with shorts that were common in cinemas and later on TV. A large number of other studios, such as Walter Lanz's (The Woody Woodpecker);  DePatie-Freleng's (The Pink Panther) and Hanna-Barbera's (The Flintstones, The Jetsons); became popular. Thus, the dream of animation that started with ingenious devices created by visionary inventors as far back as the flip book in 1886 or the phenakistoscope in 1893 was materialized.

Anime is a Japanese term for animation. Animes use a different, but effective manner to give life to the stories in mangas (Japanese comics books). Animes focus on the illustration over the fluid movement of the characters, thus they give the observer time to think and have a deeper appreciation of the characters and the story. Marco and Heidi are probably two of the first most widely watched animes worldwide.

Walt Disney's Fantasy
Technological advance has permitted that the traditional hand-drawn animation were later replaced with computer animation, leading to better end results in the quality of the films. New important studios have appeared, such as Pixar's, that have added diversity to the field.

The focus of animation is the whole family. Animated cartoons have also been a good way to appreciate classical music. Perhaps one of the best-animated films showing the power of music is Walt Disney's Fantasy, a film that included musical extracts from  Bach, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Stravinski, among others.  And the tale "Peter and The Wolf" is also a good way of developing a liking to classical music.
How to train your dragon


I must say I am currently a fan of many animated films; Ice Age 3 and How to Train your Dragon are just a few of them. Sorry, I cannot leave Ratatouille behind ...


The Flintstones



Yet, I cannot but miss those days in front of the TV set happily watching the adventures of the Flintstones or the Pink Panther ...



Now it's your turn:



Tell me about:

The cartoon, anime, or TV series you like the most; describe.
Are you a fan or an occasional reader and/or watcher? Give reason(s).
Describe the role of comics or mangas in your life.
Describe the importance of cartoons or animes in your life.
Describe the TV series you or your family usually watched.
Are cartoons, comics, animes and/or mangas good conversation topics for you and your friends?
Write any other relevant information.

- Make comments on 3 of your classmates’ posts + a comment on your teacher's post.
- Word Count: 230 words

24 comments:

  1. Of anime series, two of my all-time favourites are HunterXHunter and Flame of Recca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,
      I've heard good comments on HunterXHunter...
      See you,

      Delete
  2. There's also a series of How to Train Your Dragon, located between the first and second movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javier,
      I've watched some episodes; some of them are quite interesting.
      See you,

      Delete
  3. When I was a little girl me too enjoyed Mickey Mouse <3 and still

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nayareth,
      I'm not that fond of Mickey Mouse, yet it had its moments, eg in Fantasy.
      See you,

      Delete
  4. I still enjoy cartoons that I used to watch when I was a child, I'll never stop watching them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia,
      They bring good memories to most of us...
      See you,

      Delete
  5. Anime 4eva <3. The best shingeki no kyojin, Inuyasha, Bleach and Naruto lml wqw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Byron,
      I wouldn't imagine you as an anime fan... Good for you.
      See you,

      Delete
  6. Animes are very fashionable, are I don't understand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Constanza,
      I've watched a few animes; they are OK to me...
      See you,

      Delete
  7. When I was a child, hte series of mickey mouse gave me very afraid. Then, when I grew up, I really liked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi José,
      When I see kids watching cartoons with monsters and they smile, I wonder why... Some cartoons are really scary!
      See you,

      Delete
  8. The old Pink Panther cartoon is really funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi José,
      It means fun to me... And it came out from the short introduction of the film The Pink Panther...
      The films were very good too.
      See you,

      Delete
  9. When I watch ratatouille on TV it makes me very hungry and makes me want to go to French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javiera,
      Although cartoon film, Ratatouille also makes me think of France; I hope to travel there sometime.
      See you,

      Delete
  10. is very funny see cartoons or anime, i remenber that when i was kid and i saw the dragon ball z, i wished become in super saiyan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diego,
      There was a time when everyone spoke of Dragon Ball Z. Nice to know you liked it.
      See you,

      Delete
  11. I like cartoons. But I think I enjoyed the old ones!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rafael,
      And do you like animes? I ask because many people watch them today.
      See you,

      Delete
  12. I love with all my heart the cartoons <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Ice Age 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. *-*

    ReplyDelete